Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Make It Absolutely Personal

Honestly. I no longer wardrobe envy.
I don't covet anything out there in the shops.
I know so because I breezed through racks in shops with such ease I impress me.
My husband no longer dread shopping as I am in and I am out in a snap.
"Nothing interesting?" he asked, eyeing my empty arm.
"Nope. Just a browse. Things that caught my eye, nothing I don't have already. And other things, I just can't be bothered." And I admit I look smug saying that.

Considering the number of magazines I buy each month, I am proud to say I have finally rised above all the hype, frenzy and trends to conclude that fashion is mere recycling the old. By adding a new touch or colour, the shops and magazines attempt to make us believe that we need to be in those togs or own a certain IT bag ro shoes to be acceptable.
At least for that season.

And if you are among ones who bought into that frenzy, trust me I have been there.
There was a time that we are young and clueless which make us gullible and vulnerable as we are still seeking to be accepted in that certain group we would like to be associated with; OR that we are not aware of our body type, shape and what suits us.

And how liberating it feels to finally come to my own!
And I want to share my journey with you and let's stop wasting good money!
Shall we start?

On your next shopping trip, think of it as a day out with mates and you are just going to have a good time. And a good time does not mean that you need to buy something to be happy. Hanging out, spending time catching up or sharing thoughts is time well spent.
It is important to start every trip to town with a proper mindset.
So you saunter into a shop and your eyes are drawn by so many things around you that you feel that you need to grab something. Before you pounce on that new bag (or dress, or shirt, or skirt...whatever) you saw in the shop, stop and think:
-DO YOU REALLY LIKE IT?
-WHY DO YOU LIKE IT?
-WOULD YOU USE IT?
-HOW OFTEN WILL YOU USE IT?
-DOES IT GO WITH THE THINGS ALREADY IN YOUR WARDROBE?
-DOES IT FIT INTO YOUR LIFESTYLE (are you student? working? housewife? be realistic and practical, chasing after a Hermes birkin if you are a student; unless you are uber wealthy with bucket-loads of money to spill on anything you want, is not only extravagant but who are you trying to impress?)?

Ever shop around with a picture of a celebrity or a model in mind?
Please stop and revisit the questions above.
Reason is simple: you will NOT look like them. Period.
You are you.
You should look just as you, with the things you adorn yourself with; look a BETTER you.
Make sense?
And bear in mind those people you admire, develop their own style. Not mimicking anyone else's.
Which makes them individual and desirable.
Mind you, I do admire Victoria Beckham, Jane Birkin and Kate Middleton for their dress style and how they carry themselves. I am well aware that I will look frightful if I get into any one their outfits. But I refer to them for inspiration and I am proud to say that my wardrobe has come together nicely in time. Everything goes with every other item in there, dressing up for an event or day out is a breeze.
Muses should be an inspiration for us to develop our own, based on things that suit us and being contented with what we got and be comfortable and happy with how we look.

Many people I met, especially the younger set (teenagers to mid 20s), makes the same mistake of wanting and buying things that simply does not suit them. And when asked why did they get that skirt (for example), they would say their friends bought it and they liked it. Be it they are clueless whether it suits them or not, they just NEED to have it.
 To me, it is a choice they made so they fit into their group, so they would feel accepted or that they would look just as good as their friends or celebrities or models.

Ever chance upon your parent's old pictures to see their fashion faux pas?
Bet you had a good laugh, didn't you?
"It was the IN thing to do back then, everyone was doing it.", your embarassed parent explained.
If they can make that mistake, so can we.

If you know you are clueless or have a vast wardrobe but still cannot find something to wear; try this process:
-WHO do I want to be accepted by?
-WHY bother?
WHAT matters: do you know your body (tall, short, thin, chubby), do you know what is your body type (pear, apple, straight, triangle), what is your favourite colour (if you have been buying all sorts, but end up wearing that same colour time over time, that IS your favourite colour; at least at that moment. It change with time and age though); does it work with your skin colour (pale, olive, dark)?
Do you find yourself wearing a certain type of clothes from your wardrobe most of the time?
It would be a shirt or skirt or a dress, find out the best cut for your body type and build on it, coordinating with things that goes with the item; in the colour that works for you.
(That is how I built my capsule wardrobe, anyway)

Do not be persuaded by magazines to get the new bag or hair colour or the new black biker jacket.
Those people working in there has to satisfy their clients (advertisers) or social friends (designers) and try to sell their products as much as possible. BE SMART while you turn the pages.
You do not need another pair of skinnies just because it has zips down the sides or the new black biker jacket should have spikes to be in. You are not on the catwalk, you do not have a limitless budget and most importantly...YOU HAVE those things already.  And you still wear them, and you look great in them.
Enough is ENOUGH.

Once you sort yourself out, accept yourself AS IS; you would realise that shopping is really a stroll in the park. You will browse without the need to own, you will come home happy empty handed, knowing that you do not have something to contend with in time to come.
*as you read this, I have a sack of white tshirts I need to send to the charity shops. Not that they don't fit me, but it is so hard keeping them white since I have many pets. White still works for me though, just need to get a good bleach for my existing (undamaged) white tops.

No comments:

Post a Comment