Thursday, September 22, 2011

Anna Dello Russo - mad or just pure brilliance?

I would like to keep memorable images of the few women who inspire, shock and rock my world (fashion/imagination); either be sheer madness or absolute brilliance, these women makes reading fashion magazines pure delight.
The first lady I would like to pay tribute to, Ms Anna Dello Russo.

I cannot remember where and when I first read about her, but I DO remember my jaw dropped in awe when I saw her picture. She wore a oversized red cherry fascinator, so surprising it was that the rest of her outfit is a blur now. She reappeared in the same fascinator (and a gold version as well) with other outfits after; and I cannot help but admire how she managed to put something crazy and yet look so right every single time.
What took my breath away is also her attitude - the bold 'devil-may-care' air about her; how she pull a look together that possibly exist only in one's imagination; (someone mentioned Lady Gaga. Horrors!) and carry it with ease and class (something Gaga would never be associated with. Sorry.). She stun the crap out of me. I am hooked ever since.

From Wikipedia, Anna is the editor-at-large and creative consultant for Vogue Nippon. She was born in 1962 in Bari, a city in the south of Italy. She has a bachelors degree in Italian Literature and Art History taken at the University of Bari and attended the Domus Academy in Milan. Before assuming her current position of Fashion Director and Editor-at-large at Vogue Nippon, Anna spent 18 years at Condé Nast Italia, as fashion editor at Vogue Italia and as editor of L'Uomo Vogue from 2000-2006. Often featured in my favourite blog, The Sartorialist; and claimed to own 4,000 pairs of shoes (stifling a scream here).
She mentioned, "I’ve got a big wardrobe and all my clothes are very well displayed...I LOVE jewelry because it makes the look personal."
Surely there are moments just as many of us, even with our humble wardrobes we still struggle to find the right outfit everyday. I wonder how long she takes to get ready for the day, and how she puts things together when she has so much around her.
Does she ever dress down? I come to my own conclusion that this lady will add an element of surprise just for effect (or entertainment), no outfit is complete without something that makes you stop and gawk. In a alarming but good way. She makes fashion fun all over again.
I know icons come and go, muses change every season but unpredictability brings endless interest.And this is what makes her special to me.

Do I envy her wardrobe?
Honestly even if a large bank account, I would not dare to wear most of the things she wears. Not because I don't want to, but I am never one who likes to stand out in the crowd. I am 5'8, and I love my heels. When people glance my way I would quietly check if my fly is open. Get what I mean?
It is possible I admire Anna because she is just the total opposite of who I am; bold and fearless. And wearing rainbow colours or the monochrome in such gusto that it just takes my breath away.
Why not read her story at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/dec/12/anna-della-russo-interview-fashion ? A delightful read which made me chuckle as I went along.
I have pulled my favourite pictures of Anna from the net to share the awe and fun (no less). Enjoy.












2 comments:

  1. i LOVE LOVE LOVE the red dress with the minnie mouse-like shoulders!! who is it by?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its a Dolce & Gabanna SS09 dress hun. Crazy innit! :D

    ReplyDelete