Saturday, October 15, 2011

Skirt Issues for a Pear - Pleat or Jersey, Pleat or Plain, Maxi or Midi

Maxi Skirt has been around for a while now.
Tried&Tested: Asos 7/8 midi skirt, ends just above
ankles, the smallest part of the leg, very flattering with
flats or ankle boots. Cap sleeve fitted top widens the
shoulders visually, giving a long slim sillouette.
If tummy is a problem cinch a belt.

It started with the body conscious (bodycon, as the magazines like to call it) straight jersey plain maxi, then comes the flare, then the pleated then the full and then there comes the midi, which I find most flattering.

If you have read my old blogs, I am not one to follow trends. So I am not the quickest person to dash to the shops for latest togs, I am conscious of what is going on in the scene but I like to take my time to take it all in, then jump in when I think something suits me.

I am a busty Pear woman with strong legs (my hips are 2 inches wider than my shoulders). I don't like my legs at all so I tend to choose bottoms that end just below the knees or cover me all the way to ankles. With the maxi dresses covering from top to bottom, what could be better?

I chose Bodycon maxi styles that skims the body, as it hugs the bust and hips and falls straight from there. The Bodycon Maxi Dress look rubbish on skinny frames. The next time you look at women on the runway if you don't believe me. 

If you are a Pear shaped woman like me, you should try it as it can be very flattering because Pears has a waist and ample hips; wear a push up bra, cinch a belt at the smallest part of the waist; visually we become an Hourglass. For colder months, wear a jacket with shoulder details and immediately achieve perfect proportion, visually. 

Tried&Tested: Oasis Maxi Skirt - cuts straight
to ankles. Works with flat shoes or boots.
Works in the same way as the 7/8 Asos skirt;
for cold months, wear a light padded shoulder
jacket to bring proportion.
I love the fact that I can wear flat shoes in my maxis. Much as I love how my heels lengthen my legs visually but it makes my ankles scream  and I must admit it makes me tower over my husband (I am 5'8, with my usual 5" heels I would be 6'3), which makes him grimace every time we step out.

Last season, the pleated maxi skirts were everywhere. It started with the Whistles Carrie skirt, then it's everywhere: magazines, the fashion blogs and on the high street; hailing as the skirt that will suit all body types. Really? As usual, I took my time. Once in a while when I am in town I would try them on at the shops just so to see how it looks and makes me feel.

I experimented with different maxi styles since the skirts are still available in stores; thought I share my experience with you and perhaps help to bring some facts on the table.
If you have not bought yourself the right skirt yet, maybe I can be of reference; that is if you have the same body type as myself: the Pear.

First, is the Jersey Skirt.
It comes in different fabrics, some comes with a elastic waist band and others with zips. I favour the stretch skirt. I bought mine in black and navy from ASOS; keeping in mind to play down the problem area in dark colours. Machine washable and left to dry, hung over the radiator; it still looks as new after months. In Summer, I wear them with cap sleeve fitted t-shirts and flat shoes. Now that it is getting colder, I wear the same with leggings underneath and a cardigan or boyfriend jacket over. The colours goes well with almost every other colour so coordinating is a breeze.

My Jade Green Pleated Midi Skirt bought on ebay.
I recommend midi an maxi for Pears. The knee length is good but with thick calves, it is not flattering if I choose to wear flat shoes. I love jersey for versatility. You can layer over leggings in colder months or just worn alone in summer. New Look, BooHoo and ASOS do great jersey skirts so it's worth checking them out.

Second, the Pleated Skirt.
I love the look, how the softness of the fabric falls on the body makes me feel like a girl again. There is gazillion colours available out there, and they come in different pleats and fabrics; Pears must choose this carefully as the wrong pleated skirt in the wrong length can make us look even wider at the hip.

Knee Length Pleated Skirts will fall A-line, which is a plus for us Pears. I bought my first on ebay at a bargain. in Jade Green (not sure of make as tags were removed). I fell in love with the colour and had to have it. Not only is it an unusual colour but it flatters my skin (yellow undertone). I wore it multiple times with a simple t-shirt and a pair of patent leather flats from Marks and Spencer. I get compliments every time that I look perky and fresh and I felt good in it as it is comfortable and light

Midi pleated Skirt from American Apparel
What makes this skirt works is the cut and fit. The waistband cinch at slimmest part of the waist, just above the belly button, then drapes over the hips and ends at the knee. I can get away with flat shoes wearing it as it is an A-line.

A-line means that the skirt is shaped like a capital A; smallest at the top and a wide hem. It is good to keep in mind that A-line skirts are really versatile, it helps remove emphasis from the width of your hips. A-line skirts that fall just below the knee make the most of calves and ankles; giving an illusion of slimness in that area. The effect will be even more obvious if the legs are lengthened with heels.

I tried on the Pleated Maxi, and I must it is a real no-no for pears. Visually the bottom widens and looks heavy, no matter what top I wore it with. So let's leave the Pleated Maxi to the small hip ladies.
Chloe runway
I was tempted to buy the midi pleated skirt from American Apparel but decided against it, as the sheen on the fabric can bring unwanted attention to the bottom. Plus I don't like elastic waistband, for reasons as mentioned above. I do like the length of the skirt though, but I am sure I can find it in a matte fabric; just as seen on Chloe, if I look around. 

I have since bought a couple more Pleated Midi skirts from BooHoo and New Look in black and navy. If you want to buy them online, I suggest going by waist measurement. Careful with the choice of waistbands. Pleated Skirts comes in elastic waistband or zip. If you choose one with elastic waistband, go one size smaller and the elasticity wears out after a while. Personally I prefer the zip. Not only the shape will hold up well for longer, it is also more slimming on the hip. I hope my experience has helped you decide which type of skirt you will be shopping for when you are out in the shops. If you happen to see a Pleated Midi in the style seen on Chloe, do let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment