Tuesday, April 12, 2011

kelly vivanco

When I encountered the paintings by Kelly, I was haunted and enchanted all at once.
I was keen to see more of her works and know about the artist herself.
I chanced upon a blog about her by Pavelina on artonfix.com.
What Kelly represents through her works, truly coincide with my personal work.
I used to make jewellery (ateliernuu) and I had been asked many times by people why I made them so, whats the idea behind it...
Each of us carry with us different experiences in life, have different ideas and views based on background and education; thus how we intepret a piece of work; be it painting or sculpture or artwork of some form, will be different even from the artist.
Thus 'letting imagination run free and see where it takes her' should be the basis of creativity. 

I truly love Kelly's paintings.
There is this 'Alice In Wonderland' sort of feel to them.
The subjects are girls with haunting beautiful big thoughtful eyes, with dark hair and animals dressed in costumes (suggesting perhaps they indulge in secret parties while we are not looking; which makes me smile).

I stare into the eyes of the subjects in the paintings for hours and find myself enjoying the odd peacefulness while I 'communicate' with the girls.
Often trapped within with no one around to speak to, and yet when surrounded I fear losing myself sharing myself to people around, giving them the 'tools' that can hurt me; which left me feeling terribly lonely.
Which is probably why Kelly's works 'speak' to me.
Often I felt wonderment, silent observation, hidden words unspoken, deep loneliness and (oddly) mischief; her girls epitomises that child-like-wide-eye woman in me. Most times melancholic, but never lack of the curiousity and hope what else is out there, what tomorrow brings. Which probably reflects how I feel inside,'Maybe tomorrow, it will all be better. Maybe...'

My favourites by far is THOUGHTS, KNOTHOLE and SAFE JOURNEY.
The last brings tears as it reminds me of my unwillingness to let my cat go when he sadly departed some years back (and reminded of me how he looked back at me when he went in my arms) and another who I left behind when I left to live in England; just as how the black bunny in the painting looks back at the girl.

I will add on pictures of her paintings here, especially those that 'speaks' to me; for my own enjoyment and those who kindly stop by to read this blog.
Perhaps one day I should be fortunate enough to own one of Kelly's works.
Before I do, I shall indulge in the rapture of that day to come.
 
Kelly Vivanco - Knothole
Kelly Vivanco - Little Party (the cat in this painting looks frightfully like the ones I have now) ^_^
Kelly Vivanco - Safe Jouney
Kelly Vivanco - Glow
Kelly Vivanco - Thoughts
(By Pavelina, artonfix.com)
Kelly Vivanco was born and raised in the Southern California. She received her with honors from Laguna College of Art and Design in 1995, and in 2004 she became a studio artist at Distinction Gallery and Artist Studios, located in Escondido, California.
Her artworks painted with acrylic or oil on canvas or panel, are mostly inspired from nature, vintage photographs, children's literature and her own dreams and fantasies. The artist depicts a late childhood’s fantasy world where animal talk (and wear hats) and young girls are the heroines of great adventures which imply magic wildlife, treasures, fairies, epic tests and a secret reward.
Kelly Vivanco admits she enjoys painting without planning, just letting her imagination run free and see where it takes her. To people who ask what are her artworks about she encourages them to find their own meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment